14 July 2009

Mornings With Brandy

Brandy-dog shared many beautiful mornings with me at the Riverworld.  Enjoying beautiful, brisk, autumn mornings on our morning stroll, we would sit on the dock for a few minutes and breath in the crisp morning air.  One morning, four mallard ducks passed in flight, about 10 feet before our faces.  Brandy-dog and I were awed.

Some glorious mornings turned to overcast afternoons with grey clouds drifting slowly over the tree line.  The breeze would pick up and turn cool, while I shared my lunch with Brandy-dog.  She occasionally stretched her nose toward the sky, sniffing and blowing, and would continue to gaze toward land, while my eyes were cast over the water to watch the gulls, ducks, and other birds.  Even on a windy day, the peace of the creek permeated my being, submerging my cares and worries into sub-consciousness.

Other mornings were warm enough for short sleeves on our stroll around the grounds, with a gentle breeze coming from the creek.  On one such morning, Brandy-dog and I were so busy watching the ducks float around that we surprised the heron sunning herself on the dock; and she surprised us as we approached from the south, not seeing her until she stretched tall and spread her wings for flight.  She does not understand that we only wish to observe and admire.

Cindy B. Stevens

No comments: